People like to go antiquing for many reasons. Some like the nostalgia. Others are looking for an incredible deal on rare finds. Personally, I visit antique malls because you just never know what you’ll find. It’s really entertaining. If you’ve never been antiquing before or don’t see the appeal, here are some tips to make your next trip great:
- You don’t have to know what to look for. Yes, some people are scouring the booths for Rookwood vases or antique Chinese jade, but don’t let that intimidate you. I like to focus on finding things that strike me, and I always try to be open-minded about what that will be.
- Antiques make charming, inexpensive gifts. I’m always looking for unique, thoughtful gifts, and the antique mall can be a great place to find them. Look for pretty costume jewelry or a unique flower vase. If your mom has a collection of thimbles, you will surely find those, too.
- Start a collection. Part of the fun of antiquing can be hunting for something specific. I have a couple of collections: antique hair pins and cat puzzle boxes. They both started because I found a piece I thought was fun, then I found another (and another and another). Unless you have unlimited funds, start with something inexpensive because it’s easy to get carried away!
- Always ask for discounts. Usually antique malls are set up with different dealers in each booth (and therefore separate inventory and policies). Unless you’re buying multiple things from the same dealer, don’t expect the discount to be steep, but generally you can expect 5-10% off the asking price.
- Make it into a game. Every time I go antiquing, I look for the strangest or ugliest thing I can find. It becomes a chuckle-inducing game. Like this little gem I found last time I was out. Barbie meets pillow?
Next time you’re sitting around looking for something to do, go to the antique mall! You never know what you might find.