Sloppy Joe’s are the ultimate comfort food for me. We made them with the canned sauce when I was a kid, but I was craving a more “grown up” version, so concocted this recipe. It’s super easy and has a lot of flavor.
Sloppy Joe's (from scratch!)
Serves: 4 sandwiches
- 1 lb. ground meat or vege crumbles
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce (or half of a large can)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- dash of tabasco
- Kaiser rolls for serving
- Dill pickle slices for serving
- In a large skillet, brown your meat or vege crumbles. Add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic, and cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Serve on kaiser rolls (you can toast them first in a toaster or on a griddle) with dill pickles.