Beets are far and away my favorite vegetable. I love the vibrant color and earthy flavor. This soup recipe is so simple, but so good!
Puréed Beet Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth such as Better than Buillion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add beets, broth and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil the reduce heat to medium. Simmer until beets are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food processor), purée until smooth. Adjust soup's consistency with additional water, if necessary. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.