I have to admit: I didn’t always love pumpkin. Depending on what it was used in, the flavor could be too much for me. Then I discovered fresh pumpkin. Turns out it was the heavy flavor of the canned variety that didn’t suit me. Now, whenever I make a recipe that calls for pumpkin, I roast my own. It’s so easy and tastes so much better! Here’s how to do it:
- 1 sugar pumpkin, 2.5-3lbs.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by cutting off the stem. You don't need to cut a lot of the pumpkin off, maybe ½" from the top. then slice the pumpkin in half vertically and scoop out the seeds and strings in the middle.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by spraying with oil or lining with parchment paper. Put pumpkin halves face down on the cookie sheet and cover with foil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a fork or knife easy slides through the flesh.
- Scoop the flesh out of the skin and into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- If your pumpkin is very watery, use a cheese cloth or strainer to remove excess water before using in your recipe. Note: Substitute 2 cups fresh pumpkin for one 15.5oz can of pumpkin.