This colorful salad is packed with healthful ingredients and makes great pack lunches. The flavors really meld after a day or two in the refrigerator.
Crunchy Goodness Salad
- 1 cup green lentils, dry
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3½ cups water or broth (I like Better than Buillion vegetable base)
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 zucchini, sliced into matchsticks
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs (suggestions: basil, mint, cilantro, chives, parsley)
- ½ cup almonds, slivered and toasted
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water or broth to a boil, then add lentils. Cook 15-17 minutes until tender, then drain.
- Add bulgur to a heatproof bowl, then cover with 1½ cups boiling water or broth. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine onion, salt, sugar, vinegar, and chopped vegetables. Let stand while the lentils cook.
- Add lentils and bulgur plus olive oil, herbs and almonds to the vegetable mixture and toss until well combined. Serve warm or cold.